Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Notre Dame

I always learned about Notre Dame in high school, and honestly never thought it was that amazing; needless to say, I was very wrong. It's immense, and it's honestly so different to see it in real life. The books and pictures online don't do it justice. It's definitely a sight to see, especially since it's on an island in the Seine River.
 
We learned today in my Art & Architecture class that the Notre Dame was built on land where many other churches once stood. However, they were destroyed over time and the bishop ordered that the peasants build a new, elaborate Cathedral instead. At first, Notre Dame wasn't anything special- it was even used for storing grain and files! Who would have thought that it would become what it's known for today? I'm slowly starting to become a history nerd, and I love it. 

It was hard to gauge whether or not it was better to use flash or not inside, so sorry for the quality! Notre-Dame was built in the 14th Century; how they could possibly built something so elaborate, I have no idea.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment